Tuesday, December 29, 2009

God Speaks To Us

While reading a Catholic Devotional based on Mass Readings I came across a lesson that shared the need for us to be open to the many ways God speaks to us. It may be a thought that comes to our mind to pray for someone, or do an act of kindness, it can be a hymn or words of praise running through our minds, it can be a dream with a message much like God gave to St. Joseph. It can be the promptings of our conscience, or guidance from Scripture readings, or the advice of trusted spiritual leaders. All these can be the Voice of God.
We need to give God the freedom to speak in whatever way He chooses, we need to be open to the possibility of hearing from Him. We need to believe that He is always speaking. And we need to pray to recognize His Voice.

The Angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. ~ Matthew 2:13


"I always begin my prayer in silence, for it is in the silence of the heart that God speaks. God is the Friend of silence - we need to listen to God because it's not what we say but what He says to us and through us that matters." ~ Mother Teresa

2 comments:

  1. Eileen, I have often wondered when people have said God spoke to me.....and I couldn't understand the way they said it, but the way you have worded it makes me realize he has spoken to me many times, not only through prayer but through nature, love, connecting with family and friends and in many other ways. Thank you Eileen for helping me to understand this phrase so much better....big hugs to Jayden and Mia......:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every happening, great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us, and the art of life is to get the message.
    ....Malcolm Muggeridge

    ReplyDelete