Monday, December 21, 2009

God's Treasures

One of our parish priests recently spoke to us about God's Treasures and he said that we are among God's treasured possessions, and then he asked, "Should not God then be our Prime Desire? Should not God be our Most Treasured? Indeed He should!"

I have many treasured possessions, and I don't think it's bad to hold material things dear, but it can be a bad thing when those possessions become the main focus of our lives.
A prayer blog I visited recently asked:
What do you possess that keeps you from Heaven?
What are you striving to possess that keeps you from Heaven?

I am trying to get my priorities straight, but it really is a long, hard road for me to travel. So many 'things' and possessions block the way because I let so many things block the way. And just when I think I've made some great strides my 'old self' comes roaring right back. One step forward and then five steps back. So I continue to pray for help with this inner struggle.

But I do find encouragement along the way:
For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago. ~ Ephesians 2:10


"It's easy for an insightful person who understands the things of the spirit to free themselves from material things." ~ Meister Eckhart, Selected Writings


And this next quote is my dearest hope and desire:

"I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I wish to be, I am not what I hope to be; but, by the Grace of God, I am not what I was." ~ John Newton (Author of 'Amazing Grace')

1 comment:

  1. The Ephesians verse is one of my favorites. (I think I say that about a LOT of Bible verses, though). I share your dearest hope and desire, my friend. May the New Year find us progressing in faith and devotion to our Heavenly Father. As John the Baptizer said of Jesus, "He must increase; I must decrease." I love your heart, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete