Friday, January 1, 2010

Solemnity of Mary

The Solemnity of Mary is also known as The Maternity of Mary, and it celebrates the motherhood of Mary and the characteristics associated with being a mother.
When I used to think of 'solemnity' I thought about something sad and somber, and I didn't really question anything sad associated with Mary as I was raised on The Sorrowful Mother and all the sad events Mary had to bear during her life.
But when I looked up the meaning of the word I came across the definition of 'dignified seriousness' and I thought that summed up perfectly Mary and her acceptance of God's will for her and her Savior Son. And I would imagine that it sums up Mary's characteristics regarding motherhood. But I've let go of my idea that Mary's relationship with God and with her Son was always a somber one. I believe that she had a joyful, loving relationship with Jesus, and I believe she also derived great joy in each of His accomplishments from His very first steps and on into His adult life. And I believe she garnered great strength, and peace, and yes, JOY from her relationship with God.

"The Mighty Has Done Great Things for me; and Holy Is His Name." ~ Luke 1:49

As important as Mary's role was in God's Plan for our Salvation, she was a background figure, and she willingly accepted that role. Mary called herself a 'handmaid' of the Lord. The more accurate translation of the word she used was 'bondservant' and a bondservant was one who willingly sold him or herself into slavery to another. Mary took the role of God's servant with dignified seriousness and she fully accepted and embraced God's Plan.
I pray I can be as accepting of God's Plan for my life.

2 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful reflection on this beautiful woman, Eileen. That "bondservant"/"handmaiden" concept is compelling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a close personal relationship with Mary and her mother, St. Anne......I felt her pain as she watched her son die and I felt her joy when she knew he was in heaven with Jesus. These two beautiful woment have been such an inspiration to me and I talk to them, pray to them every day of my life.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete