Friday, February 5, 2010

Living In Harmony

Living in harmony is about getting in touch with your inner feelings and through this you gain physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual well-being. I've never been attracted to this because I felt that getting in touch with my inner feelings was all about 'ME' (and I feel that I'm self-centered enough), until I read that harmonic living is much more than that because it's an inter-connection with all creation, and it's by getting in touch with your inner feelings that you realize that true potential happiness, health, and living a fulfilled life can only come from a life connected to others.
A big part of reaching a state of harmony is isolating ourselves from the world at times for religious/spiritual contemplation. We need periods of retreat where we can step away from everyday stresses, to look at how we are conducting our lives, and look for ways to improve our lives.
As I develop a deeper relationship with God I do sense joy and peace, and I do think that part of developing a deeper relationship with God does involve a lot of self-reflection.

I used to get annoyed at men and women who chose to live a cloistered life, I thought it was such a waste, I thought they could be using their lives for so much more as missionaries, or even as living everyday lives raising children, working at jobs where they connect with others and can be an example, or working to donate part of their salary to those in need, and volunteering their time to help those less fortunate. But then I thought about the Power of Prayer, and I thought about how so many of us don't pray enough, and how the cloistered take up that slack for us. And I was so humbled when I realized that every life has profound meaning, and it's not for me to judge God's Calling for each life.

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago. ~ Ephesians 2:10


"Love comes while we rest against our Father's chest. Joy comes when we catch the rhythms of His Heart. Peace comes when we live in harmony with those rhythms. ~ Ken Gire

2 comments:

  1. I think the hard part for me in seeking my inner self is having the courage to pursue it. To me it is frightening to think I will find something I really don't like about me...That's why I find personal spiritual direction so good for me because I have a companion on the journey toward that inner self! This i a wonderful post! Thank you for offering it! Wishing you a grand weekend! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cloistered life properly lived has the potential for unfathomable good! I think we need to value the eternal above the immediate to appreciate the call to "cloister", contemplation and prayer. Such good thoughts, Eileen. I like the Gire quote, too.

    ReplyDelete