Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

There is a prayer in my old St. Joseph Daily Missal that sums up for me this day:

O God, You desire not the death, but the repentance of sinners; look down most graciously upon our frail human nature; and in Your goodness deign to Bless us as we put this token of our lowliness which we purpose upon our heads, so that we who know we are but ashes and are to return to dust, may turn to You to obtain Your mercy and pardon.


Remember, man, that thou are dust, and unto dust thou shall return. ~ Genesis 3:19


"Every breath we draw is a Gift of His Love." ~ Thomas Merton

1 comment:

  1. I have just washed the ashes from my forehead, and as I looked in the mirror I was thinking something very similar to your prayer. I didn't need ashes today to remind me I was ashes and would return to ashes by the look of me Eileen.....I think I have a stomach virus or something tonight....yuk
    I do pray Lent will provide you with much spiritual nourishment....it is one of my favorite times of the year right now, although Good Friday is a sad day. I made the Stations of the Cross today, a first for me on Ash Wednesday but I was drawn to do so......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete