Sunday, October 4, 2009

Accentuate The Positive

I remember reading awhile back that in this particular Bible verse St. Paul was actually speaking to the early Christian Church specifically about a rift that was brewing, he was in jail at the time and trying to guide his followers to stay on the straight and narrow according to his teachings.
But I think all the words chosen fit for the Bible are actually God's Words Speaking to all mankind and not just specifically for a certain situation in a certain time-frame.

I think in this verse God is telling us to turn away from reflecting on the negative, choose a positive outlook, and look for the good in people and situations.
There is nothing good about negative thoughts or actions. Accentuate the positive.



Whatever is true,
whatever is honorable,
whatever is just,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is commendable,
if there is any excellence,
if there is anything worthy of praise,
think about these things. ~ Philippians 4:8


"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy." ~ Anne Frank

6 comments:

  1. Always think on the bright side...
    no matter what life
    brings to your day
    You'll gain a treasure
    within your soul...
    that no worry or hardship
    can ever take away.

    . . . Isaac Purcell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wanda! Another great quote! 'Love it!
    Blessed Sunday!
    Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen, this verse is more powerful and useful in today's life than we even know! My 10 yr. old granddaughter often calls me in tears, with feelings of self-doubt and all sorts of negative thoughts. I had her get her Bible, and we looked up the scripture together, each of us on the other end of the phone...I explained what this verse was saying to HER, and how to apply it. It took some time, but she now calls to tell me that she's read the verse and is doing okay. Of course, this is a concern, as she is so young to be feeling this way, but it became apparent to me that many, many children, even younger, are going through more adult feelings than ever before...again, we are seeing the teachings of the Bible being ignored and abandoned, and our children are suffering. Many of my nieces and nephews get no spiritual training, and it shows. Heartbreaking...I cannot have any influence in their lives, but I pray, and ask the Lord Himself to go directly to them with His comfort and counsel. Okay, that's the end of my "book". Thanks so much for your sweet and humble heart that you share in so many ways. God bless you, dear Eileen!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good seeds, Eileen! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about your granddaughter, that's so young to have all this heaviness in her heart already.
    I'm glad she has you to turn to, and to guide her in the right direction.

    And I know what you mean about the young ones, I have it in my own family, with my own children. It's a heartbreak, but I just put them in God's Hands now.

    Thanks for all your kind words! And your uplifting blog is a big help to me too, thank you!
    Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rebecca!
    You've been an inspiration too!
    Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete